In order to become a Viridi Air Partner and participate in the planting of air-purifying trees, a demonstrable contribution must be made towards clean indoor air and/or a reduction in emissions into outdoor air. Otherwise, a Viridi Air Partnership is not possible. Our aim is to get everyone to contribute to clean indoor and outdoor air. Everyone can contribute in the following way:
- Company policy
Admission criteria for organization (Company Policy)
The organization demonstrates annually (proof) what it has done in the past year to meet the eligibility criteria. Viridi Air calculates exactly what the reduction in % of the total is. After a year, a reassessment takes place. By implementing a reduction within a certain year that exceeds the determined percentage, the reduction may be spread over several years. The evidence is posted online annually on the website of www.viridiair.nl. Accessible to everybody (100% transparent and verifiable) partners must meet the indoor and/or outdoor admission criteria annually.
Admission criteria for outside air – reduced emissions (organizations/company policy):
- Annual reduction of own emissions by at least 2%; validated through measurements at the source (sustainability, circularity, etc.). If a one-off action/investment exceeds the minimum reduction limit, the excess percentage may be spread over the years that follow. For example, if the minimum reduction limit is 2% and a one-off investment results in a 30% reduction, this may be spread over 15 years. This is called the Viridi Air allocation scheme.
- The reduction must be achieved by focusing on at least one of the following substances: pathogens (e.g., viruses, bacteria, fungus), CO2, fine dust (PM2.5 or smaller), VOCs, nitrogen dioxide, NOx, soot, ozone, scent/smell or another specific gas/substance.
Admission criteria for indoor air (organizations/company policy):
Annual improvement of the indoor air quality by implementing at least one of the following measures:
- Eliminate polluting sources such as certain curtains, carpets, printers, etc.
- Provide at least 2% of the workforce with healthier air through the purchase of purification systems (meeting Viridi Air approval criteria for products) such as: air cleaners, plants and de-humidifiers. When a one-off action/investment is intended for more than 2% of the workforce, the surplus may be spread over the following years. So, if a once-off investment is for 50% of the workforce it may be spread over 10 years. This is called the Viridi Air distribution scheme.
- The improvement must be achieved by targeting at least one of the following: pathogens (e.g., viruses, bacteria, fungi), CO2, particulate matter (PM2.5 or smaller), VOCs, nitrogen dioxide, NOx, soot, ozone, odours/smell, or other specific gas/substance.
Examples that also meet the eligibility criteria for organization/business policies. What measures can be implemented?
Do this in consultation with staff and/or Viridi Air. There are many simple actions that can be taken which are inexpensive and effective. Some suggestions to meet the admission criteria are:
- Cleaner (lease) cars (EV, hydrogen, gas)
- Introduce mandatory days which staff are required to work from home.
- Encourage staff to use clean transport (e.g., bicycle, public transport) one or more days a week.
- Purchasing more selectively.
- Adjustments in your manufacturing process.
- Source / manufacture local / reshoring.
- Install filters on exhaust systems.
- Reduce energy consumption in buildings (lighting, machine use, insulation, etc.)
- Purchase of air-cleaning/air purification systems for work/printer rooms
- Different type of office interior materials (e.g., no carpet)
- Regular maintenance (or on contract basis) on ventilation systems or and ducts.
- Extra extraction of work-related contaminants (welding fumes, grinding dust, etc.)
Viridi Air provides tips and advice on concrete actions to be taken in order to meet the admission criteria free of charge. Some suggestions/examples are described above. Should you require more information or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us? Please contact our advisor Jan-Joris van de Riet, 06-44223630 or email@example.com.
Supporting documents/brochures/test and results/technical specifications come from notified body’s (e.g. TUV) or the manufacturer. Viridi Air is never liable for content (blogs, evidence, documents, videos, product manuals, brochures, etc.) mentioned in the Partner’s profile or linked website and contacts. Specific claims (which may be in breach of law or practically incorrect) or (textually) incorrect information that cause legal or practical problems are not the responsibility and liability of Viridi Air. Viridi Air will not be held accountable in case of faulty products or services of a Partner. Viridi Air will perform the actual assessment based on written evidence supplied. Certification (external) is done through a transparent method.
Admission criteria for indoor or outdoor air (products):
The product should be sufficiently effective on one of the following subcategories (criteria 6 is included as standard):
- Gaseous/particulate/diseases: the filtering effectiveness of the product must be achieved by filtering at least one of the following substances (hereafter called “substances to be filtered”): pathogens (e.g., viruses, bacteria, moulds), CO2, fine dust (PM2.5 or smaller), VOCs, nitrogen dioxide, NOx, soot, ozone, odours/smell or any other specific gas/substance.
- Ensures a relative humidity level (comfort) of 40% – 60%;
- Ensures safe working in accordance with (ISSO-55.3 Legionella prevention in climate installations ready)
- Air movement: air and/or ventilation duct
- Producers of air and/or ventilation ducts that contribute to the realisation of the effectiveness as mentioned above under the heading:
- Measuring equipment/ Sensor techniques:
- Indoors: the measuring technique used can detect CO2, fine dust (with a size of PM10 and PM2.5) or humidity (RH). The company has several measuring techniques at its disposal and can also measure the combination of at least CO2, fine dust and humidity.
- Outdoors: the measuring technique used can detect CO2, fine dust (the size of PM10 and PM2.5) or humidity (RH). The company has several measuring techniques at its disposal and is also able to measure the combination of at least CO2, fine dust and humidity.
- Manufactures and/or supplier of filters:
The improvement in air quality must be achieved by targeting at least one of the following substances with the filter: germs (e.g., viruses, bacteria, moulds), CO2, fine dust (PM2.5 or smaller), VOCs, nitrogen dioxide, NOx, soot, ozone, odours/smell or another specific gas/substance.
- Included as standard: planting at least one air-filtering tree at a location of your choice (e.g., company premises) or in Viridi Air’s outdoor filter projects – removing air pollution from the outdoor air. Viridi Air will install one air-filtering tree per partnership request as standard.
Admission criteria for indoor or outdoor air (services):
Type of Service
- Measuring: the measuring technique used can detect CO2, fine dust (at a size of PM10 and PM2.5) or humidity (RH).
- Installation (installation, ventilation companies): able to demonstrate that work is being carried out in accordance with the Buildings Decree 2012 and that the product(s) to be installed meet the product criteria (see above)
- Planting at least one air-filtering tree planting project at a location of your choice (e.g., company premises) or in the Viridi Air external filter projects – removes air pollution from the external air. Viridi Air will plant one air-filtering tree for each partnership.